Taste of Tuesday



So I am not a huge cook as you will probably learn, however I do on occasion make something. As I am usually cooking for a party of 1 (don't cry for me, it is by choice for the most part) I have to make sure what I cook is good "left-over". Last night I made an old family recipe I have been craving. It is called "Texas Hash". My friend asked me what the "hash" part was and my only answer is to not overthink it. My family doesn't name things in a way that makes sense. It just is called "Texas Hash" and thats all there is to it.

In an attempt to be super lazy this recipe is coming at you in the form of photos, however I will let you know where I change things or what you can do yourself to change it! Please see below photos for recipe and tips!



My aunts made this cookbook for all of the cousins last Christmas. It is a compilation of some family recipes.


Typo alert! This calls for 3 TBSP of Chili Powder. That is too much people. My Mom calls for 1 TSP. I usually do about 1 1/2 TSP.

On the left there is my Mom's handwritten recipe.


I buy pre-chopped onion because they make my eyes burn to cut them myself.







Finished product! Throw it in a bowl with some shredded cheddar cheese and a slice of warm cornbread.



Recipe:

"Texas Hash"--please credit if you ever make or use. To the best of my knowledge this is an old family recipe. By no means am I saying we created it but I've yet to hear of anyone else making this and calling it "Texas Hash". Thanks!

1lb ground beef
1 large white onion
1 bell pepper
1tbsp shortening
2 cups canned tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup uncooked rice

OK, so heres where I make changes...I use ground turkey...ground beef does give it more flavor but that can be solved with spice. I also sub shortening for butter...again sacrifice some flavor. "Canned tomatoes" refers to the mason jars of stewed tomatoes my mother made. I use Hunts canned tomatoes. I also use brown rice and just a pinch more chili powder and salt.

Cook the onion and bell pepper in shortening (butter). Add in your meat and brown. Then add your tomato, seasonings, and rice. Then just enough water to simmer until it is all done.


When this is all done I sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and serve. My mom would put out a block of cheddar and some saltines along with some shredded cheese. It is also excellent with some warm cornbread in the cooler months.

Also, if you're looking for a good recipe to stuff your bell peppers look no further. Pack it in and top with cheese.

Whew...ok that was detailed even for someone like myself who rambles. This recipe means a lot to me though so I want to do it justice. I remember eating this as a kid up until I lost my mom. This was my first time making it and I think it turned out pretty good.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you've ever made something similar!!









2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks so good!!! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for linking up with Ash and I!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) It is yummy! It's been my lunch for the last 3 days too ha! Thanks for hosting, hope to do it again next week. It is kind of a good inspiration for me to actually cook.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...