The Quiet Game


Life is full of small, passed over moments. Yesterday, as I was enjoying one in particular it got me pondering what some others are. I’ve compiled a small list of those moments that rejuvenate you with silence. I think we could all use more quiet time. 

Eating alone: I’m talking at a restaurant. There is something really refreshing about having lunch or drink alone. There is no need to fake and or forced conversation, no need to watch what you eat, etc…just calm and quiet. I think we could all use a little more quiet time in our lives, no? It took me a little growing up before I could even attempt to eat alone, but now it is one of my favorite guilty pleasures.


Dog park: It is littered with couples. However, I enjoy my alone time with my dog there. I am free to just play with her and watch her run and not have to worry about focusing on anyone else…plus when she does something to embarrass me I care a lot less…HA!


Road Trip: I’ve done them both ways, but usually I prefer alone. I can sing at the top of my lungs---and badly, eat all the gross gas station junk food that I like, and be free to be a shitty driver, all without judgment. Ride together? Nah, I’ll see you there. Bonus: if you’re ready to leave, you leave.


Shopping: I’m sure some would disagree here, but I love to shop alone. I want to put all of my concentration into what I am doing, and not feel the need to be embarrassed if something doesn’t fit or my card declines—HA, really only happened once, but it happens.


I do love my lunch and dinner dates, and sometimes a trip to the mall with a GF is a lot of fun, don’t get me wrong, but those moments of silence (metaphorically, because as I sit here in Starbucks with the noises whirling around me, I am still able to tune it out because the only thing that needs my focus is this keyboard).

There are certainly things I prefer to do with others such as having drinks at a bar, getting pedicures, going to a movie, and exercising, but overall embrace your alone time. I wish I had learned to embrace it sooner and not feel like a loser sitting alone at lunch. It doesn’t mean you don’t have friends, Megan. 


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with driving in the car alone! It's my therapy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...