Sweet Sunday- Melt-a-Way Cookies

I want to share a sweet recipe with y'all today. This is the perfect cookie recipe. Ok, I know the holidays are over, but who said cookies have to be a holiday specific treat. This recipe makes about 28-30 cookies and they are always a crowd pleaser. The best thing about them is with the icing recipe all you have to do is add different food coloring and you can make them for birthdays, Valentines, Easter, etc…






Let’s get started:

3 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Eggs
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1 cup Shortening-I like to use the sticks of Crisco, but I remember watching my mom fight with the messiness of scooping it out of a can.
1tsp (I usually add just a tad more) Vanilla-if possible, make sure you buy vanilla from Mexico, it really does taste better. I usually pick it up at the Mexican grocery stores, then again, I am a Texan and I realize those aren’t as abundant everywhere.

Sift together your flour, baking powder, and salt. It is important to sift the ingredients.

Cream your sugar, eggs, vanilla, and shortening and once they’re mixed into a fluffy mixture, begin slowly adding in the sifted dry ingredients. I don’t dump the whole lot in at once, because it makes it entirely to hard to beat and I feel like it does not mix as well, even if you’re using a stand mixer.

Chill the dough for about 30 min in the fridge and get a glass of wine. If you use a hand mixer like me, you’ll be tired.

Spread some flour out on your surface, but not too much, I have found too much extra flour on the dough can make your cookies a little too “doughy”.

Roll it out to a thin to medium thickness (vague, right?) and cut your shapes. You can just do plain round ones with a small glass or use whatever shapes you prefer. I grease a light colored baking sheet with some BAKING cooking spray and put in a 325-degree oven for about 8 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center. You want to take the cookies out BEFORE they are 100% done. They will continue to bake a little on the warm sheet, and this is what makes them melt in your mouth. Well, that, and the icing. Oooh, this icing.

2 cups Powdered sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Milk-enough to make it storable, use your judgement 
Food coloring

Mix all together. It should run off of the spoon with the speed of molasses. You don’t want it to be too thick, because it won’t spread. However, if it is too runny you will have a mess. I ice the cookies on wax paper when they are slightly warm so it spreads well. I always make a mess. I call these “ugly” cookies. Let the icing dry completely—I’m talking hours and hours before you stack them. If you don’t they will stick together. If you can avoid stacking them at all, even better.

Then take and brag to all your friends that you make the best cookies ever.


This recipe is my Mother’s and it is a dear family recipe. I hope you enjoy it they way my family has for years and years!!

1 comment:

  1. Those look so good. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who still uses and old fashioned hand mixer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...