Taste of Tuesday: Tortellini Soup



Linking with Blissfully Miller and Let's Get Bananas.

So, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite link ups! I love reading everyones new recipes and have found some great new (to me) blogs through it as well. There is always great feedback as well. Now on to the recipe for this week.

The weather was gross as I am sure anyone who follows a Texas Blogger's blog is well aware of by now. So last night I tried out a crockpot recipe that I pinned a while back! Enter "tortellini soup":

First of all let me say, I love tortellini, ravioli, manicotti---any stuffed pasta. So this was quickly pinned just because of the photo. Once I read the actual recipe I knew I would be making it. It is so simple--my kind of meal.


It isn't very "pretty" but the taste more than makes up for that!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 medium zucchini, in 1-inch cubes, about 1 cup
3 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) canned great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 to 2 tablespoons dried leaf basil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces fresh or dry cheese-filled tortellini, cooked


Method:

Oh ya know, just combine everything--except the tortellini-- in your crockpot, stir it up good, and turn her on low. Let it cooke for AT LEAST 6 hours. When you're about 10-15 minutes away from serve time throw the tortellini in and turn her on high. That is it. Literally the easiest recipe ever.


Megan's Alterations:

I really didn't alter this much. I used chicken broth but I will say after eating it I believe next time I will use vegetable. While it was excellent with chicken broth I feel the tone of this soup is better mixed with a vegetable stock. I used some garlic powder, as well as garlic salt--but the original blog post pretty much alluded to that as well. I also used Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini.


Top with parmesan cheese and it is good to go. This recipe makes more than enough for two people so you could possibly cut it in half, but personally I am just set for lunch for the rest of the week!

Enjoy! 





3 comments:

  1. This looks SO GOOD! I'm loving all the soups everyone is posting! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am becoming obsessed with tortellini! So much that next weeks recipe has tortellini in it! I need to try this - looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tortellini! That sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...