Call Me Mrs. Prego

Ok, first of all, thats Prego the sauce brand…not "prego" as in pregnant! 

Saturday I woke up with a huge craving for some good spaghetti--no meat sauce, just marinara and noodles. Here in Midland the options are limited for real homemade Italian food. I do not count Olive Garden or Carino's in that category. So I went to the store and decided I was going to play around with making my own red sauce. It turned out wonderful! I took some next door to my Aunt and Uncle and they both loved it too, which made me feel good. 



Ingredients:

A can each of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. I like the brand Red Gold, personally. If you want more tomato chunks go with a can of diced tomatoes instead of the crushed. I like them a little less obvious.

Half of a yellow onion, diced. **Sauté it in olive oil briefly before adding tomato and seasonings! 

The rest of the ingredients I use purely to taste and continue to add a little more as it cooks but the flavors I include are:

Italian Seasoning, Basil and Garlic (<--I love this spice, its by McCormick's and is one of their "Perfect Pinch" seasonings, Basil Leaves, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, and Merlot.

I go fairly heavy on the garlic powder, pepper, and basil and garlic combo. I like garlic. If you don't you will obviously use less. I also like a little bite to my sauce so I go very heavy on the pepper. I use the sugar to cut the tomato flavor just a bit. I do not use a lot, maybe 1/4 tsp. 

I use about 1/2 cup of wine and then add more seasonings to cut the wine taste. The Merlot leaves a bit of a peppery bite to it which I like. Side note* Messina Hof is made in my hometown, Bryan, Texas, so I use it. I do not really enjoy drinking this particular wine though. It tastes great in the sauce however! 

I cook it on medium/low heat the whole time I am boiling water and cooking the noodles. Just before I get ready to drain the pasta I add a good handful of shredded parmesan cheese to the sauce and let it get melted in while I'm prepping the noodles. Then just add them to the sauce and serve! 

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. man I only came to view this b/c I thought you meant your were pregnant. j/k

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-me.html

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/02/grief-is-hard-thing-to-bare.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...